I often like to prepare simple and classic recipes, and this is cake is both (and tasty 😀 ). I remembered my grand-mother used to make this cake in her green cookware “Le Creuset” and the texture was perfect and moist. This cake is perfect for any occasions and ready to be served for the party, for Fiesta Friday #85
Serves: 10 slices
- 300g of all purpose flour/plain flour
- 150g of caster sugar
- 150g of soft butter (cut into small pieces)
- 11g of baking powder
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 4 medium eggs
- 40ml of milk
- 40ml of lemon juice
- 2 apples
- Icing sugar for dust
- Grease a rectangular cake pan.
- Peel the two apples and cut them in small pieces.
- Place the apples in a bowl, drizzle with 1 lemon and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- In a large bowl add the flour, the sugar, the zest of two lemons and the baking powder.
- Mix the ingredients with a spatula.
- Add the 4 eggs and whisk all the ingredients with a mixer.
- Add the soft butter cut in small pieces and continue to mix until it becomes creamy.
- Pour the milk and mix.
- Pour the lemon juice (40ml – the juice of one lemon approx) and mix.
- Finally add the apples into the mix.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the rectangular cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes (more or less depending the oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Place the cake on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
I love the texture of this cake. The apples are soft and the lemony zest bring a delicious aroma.
PS: You can make a syrup or serve with a red fruit coulis on top of the cake!