I’m late once again to this week’s Fiesta Friday. I bring into my panière, a delicious classic Apple Pie, simple as I like yet so tasty. This time I added cinnamon inside the pâte sablée, to bring a spicy flavor to the crust!
Ingredients: (for the crust/pâte sablée)
- 300g of wheat flour
- 125g of soft butter
- 100g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 25ml of water
- In a bowl add the flour, the cinnamon, the salt and the icing sugar, (you can do the same procedure with a food processor).
- With your fingertips, start to mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and mix until the dough becomes assembled.
- Slowly add the water and mix until it holds a perfect ball (maybe more or less depending the flour and the size of the egg).
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the dough from the fridge.
- Grease a deep pie pan, (my tart pan is 23 cm long and 4cm deep).
- Roll your dough between two big sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough and make a circle shape, the size of your tart pan.
- Peel off the parchment paper from one side or your plastic wrap, flip the dough over the tart plate and slowly remove the other parchment paper or your plastic wrap.
- With a fork, poke the bottom of your dough and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
Ingredients: (for the filling)
- 7 apples (golden for me)
- 1 tablespoon of soft butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of dark muscovado sugar
- Wash and peel 3 apples.
- Cut out the seeds.
- Cut the apples into very small cubes.
- In a pan add the butter and the small cubes of apples.
- Pour the sugar, the cinnamon and cook on a medium heat until the apples become soft but not caramelized.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- When the apples are soft remove from the heat and set aside.
- Wash and peels the rest of the apples (4).
- Cut out the seeds and cut in two.
- Cut slices (thin or medium as you like).
- Now pour the mixture into the bottom of the pie, flatten all the surface with a spatula.
- Place the apple slices in a concentric circle (as picture) on the top of the filling.
- Dust with cinnamon and a little of sugar.
- Bake to 180C degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the crust is golden brown.
The addition of cinnamon into the crust gives a very nice taste to this simple Apple Pie, and is perfect for the season!
Best served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side!