- 300g of wheat flour
- 150g of soft butter
- 100g of icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 25ml of water
- Icing sugar for dust
- Strawberry jam
- In a bowl add the flour, the icing sugar and the salt.
- Start to sift with your fingers.
- Add the butter and mix the ingredients with your fingers.
- Add one egg and mix slowly (always with your fingers).
- Pour the water and mix until it holds a soft ball.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Dust with the flour a clean surface.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough (0,5 centimeters thickness).
- Grease and flour a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 170C degrees.
- With a fluted cutters make a circle shape.
- Divide the numbers of the biscuits in 2.
- Keep one half whole (which will serve as the base).
- Use a small fluted cutters and make a hole in the middle of the other half (you obtain half whole biscuits and half with a hole in the middle, like in the pictures).
- Add the biscuits into the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, when the bottom is golden remove from the oven and allow to cool fro 15 minutes.
- With a teaspoon add a little of the jam in the middle of the whole biscuits (the base).
- Dust with icing sugar the biscuit with a hole in the middle.
- Delicately cover the biscuits with the hole on the top of the whole biscuits (final biscuit like in the picture).
The biscuits are soft and buttery. You can chose any jam, I opted for a strawberry jam because I like the contrast of the jam and the icing sugar.
PS: When I was younger I used to call them “little mirrors” because the jam in the middle would always shine!