Hey, hey! 4th Fiesta Friday. Angie is a wonderful hostess, I’m delighted to go with my Petite Paniere full of surprises. Today, something sweet and full of flavor to share with you.
Almond Cigars are made with a dough called Diouls sheets or Brick sheets. It’s made with fine semolina a pinch of salt and spread with water. This pastry sheet is very popular in Algeria and in North Africa as an savory or as a sweet dessert. They are sold flat and round and they dry out very quickly, leave them in a clean kitchen towel and they cook perfectly in the oven.
Nowadays, only a few people make it at home (it’s a very a long process), however they are available in most stores (ready made). Note, this is not Filo (sheet) Dough!
- 10 leaves of Diouls (or 5 Filo dough cut in half)
- 250g ground almond
- 100g of white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of orange water blossom (or more)
- Sunflower oil for frying
- In a large bowl, add the ground almond and the sugar.
- Mix with a fork.
- Add the cinnamon and mix.
- Pour slowly the orange water blossom until the dough becomes assembled, like almond paste and set aside.
For a cigar shape:
- Take one sheet and add a little of the stuffing (a small roll of 10 centimeters) with a teaspoon at 3 centimeters of the edge of the sheet.
- Fold the edges of the sheet (right and then left).
- Fold the stuffing edge and roll slowly, you have a cigar shape.
- Proceed the same way for the rest of your Diouls sheet.
- In a cooking pan add a little of sunflower oil on a medium heat.
- Cook the cigars until they become golden color.
- Remove from the heat and drain it into a colander, set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a small cooking pot, add the honey (I choose a honey orange blossom for this recipe).
- Cook on a low heat.
- When the honey is warm, deep the cigar, one by one into the honey.
- Remove from the pan and put them into a serving dish.
Serve Almond Cigars with a hot North African mint tea. The smell of the fresh mint, the honey, the orange flower blossom and this delicatessen are sweet and invite you to relax.
PS: They come in different shapes, cigars like today, triangle or round like a snail. For this recipe you can use Filo dough, I suggest you to cut in half the filo sheet, it will be easier for working because Filo dough are much bigger than Dioul dough.