For the Croquettes:
- 1 bulb of Fennel
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 white onion
- 1 teaspoon of Fennel seeds
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour/ all-purpose flour
- 125 ml of bread crumb
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- In a cooking pot, boil the potatoes on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Smash the potatoes with a fork and set aside into a bowl.
- Wash the Fennel bulb, cut and keep the stems.
- In another bowl, grate the fennel.
- Add the grated fennel into the smashed potatoes, add the chopped onion, the fennel seeds, the chopped stems, the salt, the black pepper, the 2 tablespoons of flour and the egg.
- Mix all the ingredients with your fingers, cover with a plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours remove from the refrigerator.
- Pour a little of Sunflower oil into a cooking pan.
- In a large bowl pour the bread crumb.
- With your finger take a size of a small ball from the mixture and roll into bread crumb.
- Fry until golden and set aside into a colander.
For the Fennel Salad:
- 2 medium bulbs of Fennel
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of 1 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey mustard
- Wash the bulbs Fennel and keep the stems.
- Sliced the fennel bulbs.
- In a bowl add the extra virgin olive oil, the juice of 1 lime and the honey mustard.
- Whisk together.
- In a serving dish, add the sliced fennel and pour the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the chopped stems.
- Serve the Fennel Croquettes in accompaniment with salad.
The fragrance and the flavor of the Fennel is unique. The salad is crunchy and the croquettes are sweet and agreeably aromatic.
Homemade bread crumb: Use old dry bread (croutons) and mix it , for a golden brown texture use rusk and you can add any fragrance that you want, easy and simple.