There are 3 different types of Meringue: the French, the Italian and the Swiss. I opted for the French, it’s the easy one. Perfect for tarte (pie).
- 4 egg whites
- 200g of granulated white sugar
- 50g of ice sugar
- 2 drops of food coloring (green for me)
- Pinch of salt
- Grease and flour a baking pan.
- In a bowl add the egg whites and the pinch of salt, start to beat.
- Add slowly the granulated sugar and continue to beat.
- Pour the ice sugar and finally the food coloring.
- Beat until the mixture forms soft peaks, it’s look like green satin.
- With a tablespoon take a scoop of the mixture and drop it with the help of another tablespoon on to the baking pan.
- Continue until you’re done.
- It’s a very delicate process.
- Preheat your oven at 90C and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Meringues are crispy on the outside and hollow inside. It’s very challenging but the result was worth it.