Having Mediterranean roots, I consider fish as important as meat in my cuisine (grilled, tajine, soup and even as an accompaniment for couscous).
A simple recipe with mussels.
- 1kg of fresh mussels (before buying, check your mussels if are not damaged, broken or open, the mussels should be tightly closed)
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 potatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Sunflower oil for frying
- In a bowl soak your mussels for 15 minutes to remove the excess of salt, sand and dirt.
- Clean and wash properly your mussels with a small firm brush, remove gently all the fibers with a clean towel.
- Rinse, wash and clean your potatoes with a small brush. Keep the skin and cut the potatoes in lengthwise.
- In a cooking pan add sunflower oil. When the oil is hot pour your fries and cook it. When they are gold, remove it and place the fries into a colander (for the excess oil).
- Slice the onion, the garlic and chop the coriander.
- In a cooking pot add the olive oil, the garlic and the coriander. Cook for 3 minutes on a medium heat, stir with a wood spoon. Pour the mussels and cover with the top of the cooking pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until the mussels open.
- Serve the mussels in a bowl and accompanying with the fries.
For my recipe you don’t need to add any liquid into the cooking pot with the mussels, it’s simple and very good with the coriander and olive oil.