For the crust (dough pie):
- 300g of plain flour
- 125g of soft butter
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 25ml of water
- In a bowl (or food processor), add your flour, salt, egg and the soft butter.
- Start to mix for a few seconds and slowly add the water. Mix until the dough is assembled more few seconds.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
- 5 apples (Golden for me)
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- Wash and rinse the apples. Peel the apples and cut into quarters then put them into a bowl with the juice of one lemon and 1teaspoon of vanilla sugar.
Go back to the crust
- Grease a tart pan (my tart pan is 30 cm and 4cm deep).
- Roll your dough between two big sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap. With a rolling pin, flatten the dough and make a circle shape, the size of your tart pan.
For the caramel:
- 150g of white granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- In cooking pan pour the sugar and the water on medium heat and let the caramel becomes brown gold (be careful it’s extremely hot). Rotate your pan from time to time.
- Pour your caramel carefully into your pan tart. The caramel should cover all the surface of your pan.
The final step
- Align the apple slices adjacent to each other deeper into the caramel. Cover your Tart Tatin with your dough and tuck your dough. With a fork poke the top of the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake for 40 minutes. When the crust is golden remove it from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a big serving plate flip carefully your Tart (from the pan to the plate) and now you have an “upside-down caramelized apple tart”.
Serve the Tart Tatin with a Black Coffee (without sugar) . The bitterness of the coffee and the sweet and softness of the apple are delicious.